10 March, 2015

Losing her mind and taking mine with it!

10 March 2015
763

R. Linda:

So here's the thing, me Mam be so done with me Da . . . so done that last night she comes to the dinner table with a plan.

"I be going to be changing me name!" She declared.

"To what?" I asked idly.

"To O'Sullivan." Says she.

"You are an O'Sullivan," I said.

"No, the L."

"The L?" I looked up from me dinner perplexed.

"I be an O'Sullivan with one L instead of two."

"Let me get this straight," I started when Tonya told me to just let it go.

Who does that? I can see dropping the O from O'Sullivan or just going by Sullivan and even more likely dropping the O'Sullivan all together and becoming a Duddy or reverting back to her maiden name O'Connor. But no, she's dropping one L and that's supposed to make her different.

I broke out the Jamesons after dinner because there was no talking sense to her. So she's going to petition some court (not sure where) to change her name. Yeah, that was another thing.

"So you will petition the court in Newry?" I asked stupidly.

"No, I tink I can goo here ta one of yers."

"I don't think so Mam, since you are a citizen of Northern Ireland. You have to go there."

"Noo, I will change it here."

This led to another discussion that went the same way the first one did with Tonya telling me to leave it be. I did. For now. Because it's all going to start up again when she asks me to drive her to the local courthouse.

Not to be on me Mam's case but she was on mine within the hour. Seems seeds were lying around the garbage disposal in the sink, did I know what they were?

I looked at her puzzled as I had no clue what she was talking about.

She explained that the seeds were from something I must have eaten because "Men be none too thorough when putting dishes in the sink. Ye don't rinse em', ye don't clean em', ya jus leave em' fer da wimin of da house."

Yes, that is what she said in her Irish accent that she swears she no longer has, since she's been living in this country for a few months and lost it. Right. So I tried defending men of the world when it came to dishes in the sink and it was to no avail. Tonya even told me to "give it a rest." But it wasn't me that needed to do that it was me Mam who went on about the seeds and did I remember what kind they were, and did I know that there was a plant growing out of the garbage disposal. Oi!

I got up and followed her to the disposal where THIS was growing.

I be guessing tomato

There in the dark recesses of the garbage disposal, exposed to a shaft of sunlight that comes in the kitchen window was the mysterious green thing. Why this green thing be associated with yours truly, I have notta clue. I suggested the ladies of the house dropped one of their bean sprouts from those horrendous salads they make (in the name of a healthy diet), and it never got ground up and there you have it, instant garden! But no, both of them (Tonya included) say it's got to be tomato from the BLT I ate some days ago.

This be troublesome as it may indicate that the garbage disposal is clogged up that not everything is getting ground to a pulp, or a renegade seed stuck its sticky self to the side of the disposal, just above the grinders and there you have it! The sunlight was just enough to encourage it to grow and I told them both they will be famous for SINK GARDENING. Who knew?

But the downside be that (neither of them) will allow me to use the disposal because the "seed" be growing!

"THAT be a terrible idea you know," I said to them, "the roots will go down the pipes and then what? There will be no more disposal!"

They don't care, they cannot bring themselves to "kill" the baby seedling. This weekend it gets moved, I will try to be gentle about it, but it gets moved!

Gabe
Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved




10 comments:

Fionnula said...

how is that possible? really a seed with nothing to support life. is that for real or is this a joke?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

No joke that thing be in there. Gees! Ye of little faith in the plant world.

mobit22 said...

All most plants need is a little water.some don't need dirt. BUT that was NOT the kind of picture I was expecting! LMAO as for crazy,NAH the name ting is minor. When mom starts bouncing off the walls , call me.

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

When? How about has been?

mobit22 said...

LMAO pad the walls?

Anonymous said...

Poor luv, sounds like she needs a vacation preferably not to Ireland. If she wants to change her name to confuse she might call herself Ida Goldstein. Just a suggestion. ;)~ As to the "seedling", good luck with that!

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

Ida Goldstein? I tried Isa Makinski, but she didn't like that so I don't think she will buy Ida Goldstein either. Nice to see you stranger.

Dew said...

Well that's a first. Looks to me that thing has a stalk, god knows what's underneath. Did you look?

Gabriel O'Sullivan said...

I gently moved it out of there and yes it had roots. It is in with the philodendron plant. The seedling looks happy, the phil not so much. I mean I had to, I needed the garbage disposal back. You know.

Dew said...

Yes, but what's down the disposal??!