20 January, 2017

How I spent the coronation

20 January 2017
845

R. Linda:

So the day is gloomy, drizzly, dark, dank, and yucky (the last word compliments of the kiddos). No one in this house seems happy. The kiddos trudged off to school, and the wife with them, Mam decided in honour of John Lewis to bake a sweet potato pie, her very first. She baked her first pumpkin yesterday and it be gone, so she decided to try her hand at another American favourite she never had before. The recipe she got from Tonya, whose mother makes sweet potato pie. Everyone in the house had never had sweet potato pie but Tonya. So why not, eh?

As for meself, I be off today but I work tomorrow! I will let you know how the pie tastes when it cools and I get me a slice. Here have a look at this goodness:

I know looks like pumpkin but it's not

So Direct TV came up for renewal. That was last week. And I was about to pay it when Tonya said, "Hold off for a minute."

"What?" I asked, looking at her deep in thought expression.

"I haven't been sleeping well, you haven't been sleeping well, and not seeing the news might help us sleep. Ignorance is bliss and right now . . . plus the boys should read more books instead of watching the tv. Your Mom said the other day how it seems their imaginations are stunted by so many electronics."

"So you are saying not to renew the satellite? I have no trouble with that." As it is it costs me an astronomical $300 a month!

She nodded and I closed up me laptop and we went to break the news to the rest of the house. It was the youngest who gave out an "Oh man!" The rest did not care as I thought they would. Even Mam shrugged and said, "Good!"

That was that and for the past week we HAVE been sleeping better, we have no idea what the weather is, but it is a small price to pay. Unfortunately, because of me work know what be going on in the world, but I have been ignoring it all pretty well. The kiddos have found their fun in board games, and science experiments and seem more attentive to their homework.

So all was well until today. I have me phone on me because sometimes work beckons and it is standard procedure to have it nearby just in case I have to go in or cover a breaking story. But as it would happen, I'd get BRINGGG and on me screen would jump a picture or a headline, or both with a video link. You'd be proud of me if I ignored it all, the entire day long.

I will say nothing else as being mostly ignorant of the day and wanting to keep it that way, as me mood has been better, not great but better. So, with wanting to cheer meself up and probably you too, I decided to put in some lovely pictures of New Hampshire as a temporary interlude because if I don't I might have some kind of meltdown and that wouldn't be pretty . . . or professional.

Enjoy scenic N.H. -- these are shots recently taken where I live by yours truly. I hope you enjoy the photos but well I know you have snow in Denver most likely or thereabouts and it isn't your favourite subject. And you are probably standing there with hands on hips saying, "Really Gabe? Snow pictures?" Uh yup.

The lake down the road - reminds me of Canada

View of the Monadnock Mt. Range - reminds me of Glastonbury, Eng. without the Tor

Snowing in my front yard - reminds me I need a new shovel

After the now (yesterday) - reminds me I need a bigger shovel

Oh and the pie? DELICIOUS! Mam thinks John Lewis is an elegant speaker and a powerful one in spite of Forest Trump taking him apart. Uncalled for she said, and so thank you Congressman Lewis for inspiring me Mam to go to baking universes she's never been before.

Gabe
Copyright © 2017 All rights reserved

2 comments:

mobit22 said...

LMAO Such BEAUTIFUL pictures! Becaue YOU have the crap I've been dealing with. I used to make sweet potato pie, so I know it's yummy. I make. Different dishes with sweet potatoes cuz I love the taste. Even as baked potatoes. Since my vision is bad I can't read a lot so tv is my entertainment. .I still buy books but inlesd I get a miracle. ..

Dew said...

As I opened your blog. Guess what? John Lewis is speaking in Atlanta on the telly lol.